Signs Your Air Ducts Need CleaningIn Summer on June 12, 2017 at 1:26 pm | Written by gtadmin20
Have you noticed little wisps of dust puffing out from an air duct every time you turn on your home’s heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system? Have you seen the dust and pet hair getting trapped in your vents? Is there dust coating the grill on the return air registers?
These might be indications that your home’s duct work might be due for a thorough cleaning. Inside your HVAC system, fine dust collects on air duct surfaces, vents, motors, and coils. Flakes of dead skin, hair, and pet dander catch onto the dust, and before too long this process creates a dense, mat-like environment where bacteria, mold, dust mites, and allergens can flourish. Air filters remove most of these from the air stream, but not for all parts of the HVAC system. That’s why it’s important to periodically check the condition of your air ducts to see if they could use air duct cleaning services.
Related: Reasons for Air Duct Cleaning
- Open one of your vent covers and look inside. See if it contains any dirt, debris, or matted dust.
- Examine the return air registers for dust buildup, particularly if there are thick, fuzzy coatings of dust.
- Pull out the air filter. If the air filter is clogged with dust, then air flow is being choked off. This lets more dust settle and build up in the ductwork.
- Open the furnace compartment. Examine the blower fan and motor for signs of dust as well as the furnace controls. The more dust you see, the bigger the problem you have.
- Look at the air conditioning coil. (You might have to remove a panel for this.) If the coil is dusty or has dust clinging to the housing walls then the air filter hasn’t been working properly.
Ultimately, cleaning the ducts of your HVAC system is a job for a professional. A thorough cleaning can only be performed by using industry-standard equipment designed to handle the size and volume of all kinds of homes. As your local, family-owned air duct cleaning company, you can trust in Green T taking care of your home.